Applying for a Brazilian Tourist visa is not as hard as it looks.

If you are from the United States, you must attain a travel visa in order to visit beautiful Brazil, and depending on which state you live in, you must go to the appropriate Consulate General of Brazil. You can see which Consulate you must visit here.

In this article, I will solely focus on the region falling under the jurisdiction of the Consulate General in Washington, D.C. If you live in Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, Virginia, Ohio, West Virginia, the District of Columbia or North Carolina, you must visit the Consulate in D.C.

If you decide to use the help of a travel agency, then you don’t have to worry about traveling to the nation’s capital, but please keep in mind that you must apply in person if you don’t go through a travel agency. Below you can read the six-step process needed to attain a Brazilian Tourist visa:

  1. Print out your flight itinerary, which should include the dates of your two-way ticket and the flight (airline) number.
  2. Attain a recent (six months or less) passport photo, and glue the photo on your completed visa application form. You can complete your visa application form here.
  3. Before visiting the Consulate, go to a USPS branch and buy a $160 USPS money order, and buy one pre-paid envelope. Write your personal address as the recipient address and the Consulate’s address (1030 15th Street NW, Washington D.C., 20005) as the return address in order for the Consulate to send you your documents, passport and visa when their work is completed.
  4. Don’t forget to take your passport.
  5. Visit the Consulate General of Brazil in Washington D.C. anytime between 9 a.m. until 12 p.m. in order to have your visa start the process that same day. If you arrive late, they will not accept your paperwork.
  6. The process takes approximately 5 business days to complete, and it will be sent to the address listed on the pre-paid, pre-addressed envelope via USPS after it is processed.

Do you have any other questions? Still confused? Visit the Consulate General’s website or leave me a message below.